On Canada’s west coast, marine spatial plans were completed in 2015-2016. Strong marine plans now underpin co-management between First Nations and the Province of BC and tripartite relationships with First Nations, Province of BC and Federal Government on marine protected areas towards completing Target 1 for Canada.
For more than a decade we have partnered with First Nations in the Great Bear Rainforest on the Central Coast. Building on this success, our work now extends to the marine environment to support the creation of a 186,000 square km (46-million-acre) conservation corridor and the implementation of marine spatial plans. Our marine work in Canada includes:
- Supporting the implementation of the Marine Plan Partnership for the North Pacific Coast (MaPP);
- Supporting the scientific analysis and stakeholder review for the Northern Shelf Bioregion Marine Protected Area Network;
- Engaging with the region’s fisheries sector to support MPA design criteria and proposals;
- Fostering sustainable, locally-led fisheries to support implementation of MaPP; and
- Exploring innovative financial models for sustainable, local fisheries.
Marine Plan Partnership for the North Pacific Coast
The Nature Conservancy
Joanna Smith, PhD.
Director, Ocean Planning and Mapping
The Nature Conservancy – TNC Canada
Global Oceans Team