This section includes guidebooks and reports that pertain to marine spatial planning and ecosystem-based management (EBM). These resources cover some of the key elements of marine spatial planning. Consult the primary literature for other publications on marine spatial planning. Please also consult the IOC-UNESCO website for information on marine spatial plans by country – click here.
Contact us with suggestions for publications to feature on this page.
- Agardy, T. 2010. Ocean Zoning: Making Marine Management More Effective. London: Earthscan, 213 pp.
- Beck, M.W., Z. Ferdaña, J. Kachmar, K.K. Morrison, P.H. Taylor and others. 2009. Best Practices for Marine Spatial Planning. The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, VA.
- Collie, J.S., W.L. Adamowicz, M.W. Beck, B. Craig, T.E. Essington, D. Fluharty, J. Rice and J.N. Sanchirico. 2012. Marine Spatial Planning in Practice. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 117 pp. 1 – 11.
- Dickinson, M., T.I. Gunton, and M.B. Rutherford. 2009. Benefits of Marine Planning: Evaluation of Marine Planning in Canada. Marine Planning Research Group, Simon Fraser University. 44 pp.
- Ehler, C. 2014. A Guide to Evaluating Marine Spatial Plans. Paris, UNESCO, IOC Manuals and Guides, 70; ICAM Dossier 8
- Ehler, C. and F. Douvere. Marine Spatial Planning: a step-by-step approach toward ecosystem-based management. Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission and Man and the Biosphere Programme. IOC Manual and Guides No. 53, ICAM Dossier No. 6. Paris: UNESCO. 2009 (English).
- Holland D.S., J.N. Sanchirico, R.J. Johnston and D. Joglekar. 2010. Economic Analysis for Ecosystem-Based Management: Applications to Marine and Coastal Environments. RFF Press, 236 pp.
- Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. 2009. Interim Framework for Effective Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning. White House Council on Environmental Quality.
- Katona, S., Polsenberg, J., Lowndes, J., Halpern, B.S., Pacheco, E., Mosher, L., and others. 2017. Navigating the seascape of ocean management: Waypoints on the voyage towards sustainable use. OpenChannels: Forum for Ocean Planning and Management.
- Longley-Wood, K. 2016. Creating and Using Data Portals to Support Ocean Planning: Challenges and Best Practices from the Northeast US and Elsewhere. SeaPlan, USA.
- Longley-Wood, K., A. Lipsky, and S. Moura. 2016. Insights on Industry Engagement from Marine Recreational Use Studies in the Northeast US. SeaPlan, USA
- McCann, J., and S. Schumann with G. Fugate, S. Kennedy and C. Young. 2013. The Rhode Island Ocean Special Area Management Plan: Managing Ocean Resources Through Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning. A Practitioner’s Guide. University of Rhode Island Coastal Resources Center/Rhode Island Sea Grant College Program, Narragansett, R.I. 68 pp.
- McLeod K. and H. Leslie (Eds.). 2009. Ecosystem-Based Management for the Oceans. Island Press, 392 pp.
- McLeod, K.L., J. Lubchenco, S.R. Palumbi and A.A. Rosenberg. 2005. Scientific Consensus Statement on Marine Ecosystem-Based Management. Signed by 217 academic scientists and policy experts with relevant expertise and published by the Communication Partnership for Science and the Sea.
- Mengerink K., A. Schempp and J. Austin. 2009. Ocean and Coastal Ecosystem-Based Management: Implementation Handbook. Environmental Law Institute, 158 pp.
- Moura, S., and P. Zaykoski, P. 2016. Advancing the Practice of Performance Monitoring & Evaluation in Ocean Planning. SeaPlan.
- Smith, J.L. 2017. Options for Adopting Marine Spatial Planning. In: Cervigni, R. and P.L. Scandizzo. The Ocean Economy in Mauritius : Making It Happen, Making It Last. World Bank, Washington, DC. © World Bank.
- The Nature Conservancy. 2006. Marine Ecosystem Based Management: Learning from Case Studies to Advance Decision Support.
- National Ocean Council. 2013. Marine Planning Handbook.
- NOAA Science Advisory Board.Strategic Advice on Designing and Implementing Coastal and Marine Spatial Plans.
These resources are provided for information and discussion purposes only.