This section includes publications and reports on marine spatial planning and ecosystem-based management (EBM). These resources cover some of the key elements of marine spatial planing. Contact us with suggestions for publications to feature on this page.
- Agardy, T. 2010. Ocean Zoning: Making Marine Management More Effective. London: Earthscan, 213 pp.
- Beck, MW, Z Ferdaña, J Kachmar, KK Morrison, PH Taylor and others. 2009. Best Practices for Marine Spatial Planning. The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, VA.
- Collie, JS, Adamowicz, WL, Beck, MW, Craig, B, Essington, TE, Fluharty, D, Rice, J, Sanchirico, JN. 2012. Marine Spatial Planning in Practice. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 117 pp. 1 – 11.
- Dickinson, M, Gunton, TI, Rutherford, MB. 2009. Benefits of Marine Planning: Evaluation of Marine Planning in Canada. Marine Planning Research Group, Simon Fraser University. 44 pp.
- Ehler, Charles. 2014. A Guide to Evaluating Marine Spatial Plans. Paris, UNESCO, IOC Manuals and Guides, 70; ICAM Dossier 8
- Ehler, Charles, and Fanny Douvere. Marine Spatial Planning: a step-by-step approach toward ecosystem-based management. Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission and Man and the Biosphere Programme. IOC Manual and Guides No. 53, ICAM Dossier No. 6. Paris: UNESCO. 2009 (English).
- Holland DS, JN Sanchirico, RJ Johnston and D Joglekar. 2010. Economic Analysis for Ecosystem-Based Management: Applications to Marine and Coastal Environments. RFF Press, 236 pp.
- Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. 2009. Interim Framework for Effective Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning. White House Council on Environmental Quality.
- Longley-Wood, K. 2016. Creating and Using Data Portals to Support Ocean Planning: Challenges and Best Practices from the Northeast US and Elsewhere. SeaPlan, USA.
- Longley-Wood, K, Lipsky, A, Moura, S. 2016. Insights on Industry Engagement from Marine Recreational Use Studies in the Northeast US. SeaPlan, USA
- McLeod K and H Leslie (Eds.). 2009. Ecosystem-Based Management for the Oceans. Island Press, 392 pp.
- McLeod, KL, J Lubchenco, SR Palumbi and AA Rosenberg. 2005. Scientific Consensus Statement on Marine Ecosystem-Based Management. Signed by 217 academic scientists and policy experts with relevant expertise and published by the Communication Partnership for Science and the Sea.
- Mengerink K, A Schempp and J Austin. 2009. Ocean and Coastal Ecosystem-Based Management: Implementation Handbook. Environmental Law Institute, 158 pp.
- Moura, S, Zaykoski, P. 2016. Advancing the Practice of Performance Monitoring & Evaluation in Ocean Planning. SeaPlan.
- The Nature Conservancy. 2006. Marine Ecosystem Based Management: Learning from Case Studies to Advance Decision Support.
- National Ocean Council. 2013. Marine Planning Handbook.
- NOAA Science Advisory Board.Strategic Advice on Designing and Implementing Coastal and Marine Spatial Plans.
These resources are provided for information and discussion purposes only.